Sunday, June 13, 2010

The first cross country trip



Our first trip in the semi-completed bus was successful, we left around 10 p.m. and drove 4 hours to Lincoln Nebraska. We parked in the hospital parking lot and got some sleep (all the kids were asleep long before I stopped)

I woke at 5 a.m. and was anxious to hit the road, so I left the kids sleeping, got some breakfast at Waly mart, and started driving again. soon all the kids were back asleep and around 8 a.m. I decided I was too tired to drive, I found a cute little museum in Hamilton NE and I stopped to rest, I fell asleep and only woke up when Zeke needed to use the potty. (At this point the plumbing has not been done, so we still had to stop for potty breaks)


I got all the kids settled back in and drove all the way to Rock Springs, where once again I was too tired to go further, we stopped for a late dinner, waited forever to re-fuel (there was a long line) and froze our tails off as the wind in Rock Springs was ferocious.

After we had eaten the waitress was dumbstruck by one adult accompanied by 9 children, she asked if they were all mine I wish I could have lied and seen the look on her face, but alas I told the truth, she then proceeded to guess which ones were not my offspring, and she only got one out of 3 correct ;)

I love the Crockett Girls, they are such great kids to have around, MK.... always cleans & organizes everywhere she goes (just like her mom)
GB... is fun & silly and helps my Gracie stay on the right track, she encourages her to read & investigate,
and of course MD... She is always quiet and polite, she never causes a problem, and she is such a great friend to my Madi.

After we left the restaurant (at nearly 11p.m.) we crossed the road to get back onto the bus, and Gracie and GB... RAN without looking into the street, a car was approaching, and I SCREAMED, they stopped, of course they stopped in the middle of the road. We are all so SO lucky that car was paying attention, and had seen them RUN INTO the road. I started crying and both of the girls were shaken (and hopefully humbled!!)


After drving aimlessly for 30 min to find a good place to sleep, we settled in Waly Mart parking lot and froze our buns off!!!

to wake again at 5 a.m. and hit the road for Heber. We pulled into Grandma's by Saturday morning at 10 a.m.

My goal had been to arrive by Saturday. We did it!
La Esperanze got 11 mpg
We loved the drive, La Esperanza performed perfectly and we look forward to many more miles on the road.

Thanks for checking in with us... more with pics to come soon!

No comments: