Friday, January 18, 2013

redundant & impotent

The story in Afirca is redundant. The need is astronomical, the poverty is gut-wrenching.
The majority of Africans are lucky if they get one meal each day.
They are accustomed to going without, of making do, of building from scratch. They take the wild grasses and sticks and make a hut, they take the fabric and make dresses (Called Lapa)

They are simple, and quiet people.
Most would be mortified if they knew you felt sorry for them.
Most would never ask you for anything, although they look at you longing and hope you can FEEL the pleading in their hungry eyes.
My morning started out with a vis




it to Al. he is the 7 year old boy that started having leg tremors and eventually lost his ability to walk. He has an enormous head, the Dr.’s have said it is a ‘brain infection’ so ambiguous. But honestly no one here has the technology (nor the power and knowledge) to do more than the very basic.
His mother asked me to help her save her son. He is loved, he is cared for, and he is slowly dying.
Next we visited a school in Coca Cola factory village, it is a neat little subdivision of homes that are cared for by people who CARE. They keep the lawns swept, and the yards clean, of the 150 homes, only 2 or 3 own a car. These are very simple humble people.
Quita my good friend has started a school in her neighborhood; she and her husband are the caregivers to many in need.
The school was organized, clean, and well run. The few books and supplies they did have fit onto one table less than 4 ft long.
The children all wear their uniforms and come HUNGRY to learn. They arise early in the morning, (most have never even heard of breakfast) and walk to the school, where their parents have paid $1300 Liberian dollars for tuition. They meet from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. when they get home, they clean the yard, house and do the laundry by hand, they begin the preparations for dinner, and then the nightly dinner dishes. This is their one meal each day. 6 o’clock.
The kids are cheerful, helpful, hardworking and appreciate affection and attention. The staff is loving, giving and dedicated. They have given everything to protect and serve God’s children.
Looking through this album is surreal to me.
I have touched their faces, I have held their hands, and I have honestly fallen in love. (with more than a few)
What can I do? I am only one person. I am NOT wealthy, influential or powerful. I am only me. A mother, a neighbor and friend.
One thing I cannot deny is regardless of the gross discrepancy between the needs and the resources. I will continue to be their voice. I will continue to pray for them, and I will hope that you will join me, in any way you can.
A master plan on the needs, and future of Borto Orphanage :
Finding a permanent location for the children and staff to live. (at the present they are squatters)
Find the funds for building the home and dormitory for the 41 children they presently have.
Encourage the Liberian government to LIFT the moratorium on adoptions.
Find the resources to bring sustainable food sources to the orphanage: including
Aquaponics
Goat herd
Chicken flock
Some way to produce income in the country to provide for their ongoing needs.
Sponsors for the children’s school needs and daily meal.


Here are some items that are needed and their costs to purchase in country.
41 Mattresses $30 each
6 loads of zinc to roof finish the roof $150 each
One acre lot to purchase from the government $2,000
Salary for each person who works at the orphanage
House mistress $100 (x3)
Cooks $50 (x4)
Security Guards $50 (x4)

It can feel like a black hole of hopelessness.
Trust me. If I spend too much time thinking about that, I may give up.
But if we each take a little portion of the garden, and tend to it with our love and attention, it will matter to those we serve, no matter how small our plot is.

1 comment:

Mother Gooneybird said...

I went to their blog through the link but there doesn't seem to be a way to contact the orphanage. how do we get things to them besides donating money? Can we send books? Who can we discuss aquaponics with?